28 February 2016

British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration Society Conference 2015


I do hope this finds you well, I'm in the recovery position today! Exhausted and a little shocked, because Monday came too soon .. I wasn't ready! So please do excuse the rough edges…

As always the BELMAS conference this weekend was fantastic! Once upon a time, I remember being rather scared and awed by this gathering. Probably my lack of understanding about leadership made me fear that it would be elitist and oppressive. I'm glad to say that what I find every year is warmth, collegiality and respect! In terms of sustainability, the weekend leaves me renewed, refreshed, challenged and connected. If a little weary! Ken Robinson talks about walking into a room where people talk your language, know your passion, connect to your craft - the community at @belmas feels this way to me!

I was Really! Really! honoured to meet John Novak – a privilege and a joy! Being of an enthusiastic disposition (after 20 years in education?!) I was preparing myself to welcome him with intentionality. after all, Intentional invitation is the subject of his most recent book, Leading for Educational Lives. However, I felt quite out-welcomed by his warmth and interest?! I gather I did a good job with of my introduction - despite my fear. People were kind enough to let me know that my joke - about being neither underwhelming or overwhelmed, but full of whelm - was appreciated. This was a reference to his recent book.  In his keynote, he joked that as a Canadian he hoped that people read his book, but as an American he hoped people bought his book! As I told him, my feelings are that as my book is now so old, I usually pray that the people I meet cannot remember mine!  

My paper went well, as the previous blog articulates. I enjoyed sharing the ideas I'm playing with ideas. Those that connect sustain-ability, to equality/inequality, governance and account-ability. A tall order, and not the most straightforward of academic endeavours. My heart soared, as I was described as 'inspiring' twice! More generally people were warm in conversation, looking after me, and helping me get my needs met (hugs and tea!!). I picked up loads of ideas in the session I chaired.  Friends and new colleagues.... I was voted in as a council member, an honour and a privilege!!

Today I’ll be lying on the sofa, trying to find low brow stuff to do while my body recovers. Accessibility issues and general high levels of noise have left me v week and wobbly. I look forward to more worthwhile endeavour – tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment