01 April 2021

My do-do list!

Years ago when I began delivering training I followed the methods of the day, giving participants lists of do/don’t say words in a session on correct language. Sadly, when doing a piece of research on respectful language, I found out learners felt confused by this. On other awareness training, I have myself been confused by ‘don’t say’ lists which left me fearful of having conversations about racism, classism or homophobia.  In many conversations recently, some non-disabled people have also said to me that they feel they can’t talk about disability because they don’t experience it. I do not experience racism, but I believe I’m part of the problem if I can’t articulate it adequately.


So this is my ‘do-do’ list, an attempt to respond to the comment "what can I say?!”

 



 

 

 

 



·      Do talk about the size of disabled population, stressing vast numbers, huge inequality, lack of visibility and wide variation. This helps contradict the assumption that disabled individuals are few and a separate group to those individuals facing sexism, racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, family and partners choices.

 

·      Do highlight the disadvantage and inequality imposed on disabled people. Articulate identity separately, because respecting choice in no way stops us from talking about discrimination.

 

·      Do make the assumption that to be visible at all most disabled people have no-doubt overcome huge barriers, simply to achieve life goals many others can take for granted. 

 

·      Do refer to D/deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations as the go-to for representation. Individual experience is the first step, but D/deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations offer a shared voice that adds activism and community interests to accountable storytelling.

 

·      Do refer to the societal and environmental aspects of disability discrimination in exactly the same way as you would frame a conversation about anti-racism or anti-sexism.

 

·      Do state clearly that organisational culture, and more broadly society, denies many individuals their human right to belong, which is a cost to communities.

 

·      Do ask about identity, if and when a professional relationship has been established. Disabled individuals will have different words for their experience, knowledge and wisdom on these issues. As do feminists, for example. Allow for this choice and respect personal boundaries. Illness, impairment and difference, contrary to society’s storytelling, are private matters.

 

 

 

Read more - Legitimacy, accountability and human rights 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this, Mole - helpful and informative, as ever.

    ReplyDelete