17 March 2016

More counting fish...

At a time where the very existence of disabled people is being thrown around as a financial question, I rage. I stand by a previous statement: At a time of major cutbacks, services are being asked to do even more with less.  Ironically this has led to counting fish more assiduously, while still ignoring [disabled] people’s potential to add to the fishing. 

I am so angry right now, but there are a number of thoughts I'd like to share, they are somewhat muddled and confused, because of the complexity of so many arguments linked to what is being said across the media and our networks… I believe that disabled people are entirely capable of adding their share to the well-being of this country - and indeed the world. We are sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, uncles, aunties, friends, carers, partners, colleagues, trustees etc... There is not a form of human endeavour that isn't enriched by our presence and therefore our contribution. Truth is, also, that disabled people face significant barriers, inequality of opportunity, lack of consideration and in the worst circumstances hate crime. I consider myself hugely privileged, but I am sickened by the idea that the financial support we need is being used as a political football. That somehow we've become a cost not a gift to the shared capacity and the beautiful variety of the human form. Surely it's between us all that strength exists, in the mutuality of our exchanges that there is gain – the worth that money just can't quantify. 

I may be odd, but I think a full life is about a lot more than money. Yes, in the west the individualism that fuels market price now seems to dominate both state debate and community conversation. While economic growth is lauded, human development requires more to sustain our humanity: for example, the ethical commitment and environmental considerations that will help us redress the inequality threatening our lives.  If we calculate human worth by financial units we are diminishing people's existence to the ‘paid for’. There is far more to our community endeavour and civic engagement than what has a price. The care we extend to our friends, the security we offer to all children, the safety of being known, the joy of sharing connection - keep us well and happy. You cannot put a price on love, passion or respect - therefore arguments about amounts of money are somewhat simplifying the more significant issues of social justice and human rights.

I am proud to live in a country that supports people in times of need. To my mind offering support, paid and unpaid, is part of what defines our shared humanity. I enjoy, when I can, paying into a pot that gives others a route to well-being – it’s a small demonstration of civic empathy. However, the divide needs to be equitable! This means that people in receipt of the most hardship get the most immediate help and the most understanding consideration. Well-being is defined by more than health. Getting through the day and having a job reduces our existence to survival - not living. For those whose basic needs are barely being met more needs to be done - not less. Because well-being tends to prevent critical illness - not mere health – long-term aspiration need cultivating for people to flourish. I can have my needs met and wish to die in a society that doesn't strive to create a more equal place for me in education,  employment, leisure, community activity and civic engagement- a huge agenda is needed to ensure we thrive together as a human family. The cost is important, but not at the price of what has worth and upholds our values.
Given the inequity disabled people face in our localities we need to consider acting more justly – upholding human rights. For me being bathed, dressed and fed are the very least I need in order to look forward to a day of meaning and engagement. Depriving the most threatened of the minimum is inhuman, and in years to come the words we’ve heard recently will articulate the shame of our times. 

More worryingly there is a long-term cost to our relationships. I do worry that this focus on cost has diminished our appreciation of human connection. Putting disabled people in the spotlight, as scroungers or victims, has pushed us into a 'them' camp. As the other, I feel less worthy, less proud, less employable and less loveable. The headlines may not be directed at the most privileged disabled people on the block, but boy do the words challenge dignity, pride and sanity. I have felt vilified, picked on, ashamed, degraded and rubbished this week. I feel scared to go out, and glad for the safe spaces in which I am wanted by others.  Waking up to the message that my life is expendable because of its cost is deeply challenging my existence!! 

I know that we can all contribute greatly to the shared abundance of human existence. But to do so at the very least we need people in the public eye to acknowledge that the worth as a nation is demonstrated by its capacity to demonstrate CARE - NOT TO COUNT.


3 comments:

  1. You probably don't realise it but I am proud to have learned loads from you, starting about 35 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. !! Although are we that old!?! It's mutual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo what Juliet said... I too am proud to have learned from you and to have had my own life enriched your wonderful and beautiful brain. I have watched you patiently transform society, your country, the world, and hundreds of other hearts that have been lucky to have crossed your path. As a sister and colleague of people with disabilities, I can't begin to express the benefit they bring into my own life, but also into my workplace and world, including financial benefit. Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete