28 February 2016

Time for a little reflection


I've been going at full throttle for 10 days now! So this blog is by way of savouring the highs, while I pause to making sense of the learning. I'm sure a week from now I'll be running again…

I was privileged enough to attend the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion conference in Munich last week. I must admit my view of conferences has changed over the years. I used to feel afraid, particularly at academic gatherings, I felt inadequate because I wasn't a scholar but a jobbing facilitator. I also had a feeling that I would not fit in, that I would stand out and get lost in the stampede. Sadly, I used to focus too much on my own paper, thereby missing out on the gifts of others. Thankfully, as my wisdom-streaks highlight, with age comes learning - if not wisdom. It's a shame looking back that worrying about my presentation prevented me from enjoying the stories being shared - the generosity and experience of others. I feel less anxious these days, as I know what to expect: the arcane language and complex time tabling do not confuse. I now anticipate that unexpected changes will bring a variety of surprises. As for picking the right session, it really doesn't matter if you change your mind halfway through a coffee break! It you apply world cafĂ© principles, the freedom of thought and movement will allow you to gather ideas as long as you are prepared to listen with heart and mind. What I've grown to appreciate is the sense of community. It's a privileged space, where common interest leads to connection of a quite specific nature. Nowhere else would I expect to laugh out load at issues of methodology. Neither is it typical for me ordinarily to run after people in order to ask for names and dates! (References were a mystery to me a decade ago!) 


I met Jonathan (@JALamptey) after one particularly enjoyable session on Inclusive Leadership and Social Identity. We snatched a few minutes to say hello, having exchanged smiles during the session, and talked about blogging. We talked about identity in relation to our research and the use of blogs in gaining and sharing research findings. I certainly believe blogs have a potential to help practitioners share ideas outside their field. But for that to work the blogs need to be straightforward – de-cluttered from the coded language we often use in research circles. This is difficult given the growing complexity of the any field of enquiry. In simple terms the more you explain the longer it gets! If it was Einstein who said one should be able to explain most things to a 12 yr old, it was because he didn't live amid the information overload we know today. Ignoring depth, complexity or nuance can strip an idea of its potential for change – simplifying can alter conversations and hinder shared understanding. 

I told Jonathan how freeing I find the blog format, basically because I tend not to use the first person in technical writing -- blogs allows me to say 'I think', ‘I belief’ or ‘I know”. Also, because I have some serious misgivings about declaring my labels, as a researcher I find they emphasise the wrong bias. This was a theme of the conference, but put in a more straightforward way, I feel that overemphasising that I'm a disabled writer/researcher will somewhat discredit my work. I think the complexity of my experience and the eclectic mature of my knowledge could be more respectfully captured. I'm happy to qualify bias, but as Coleman (2011) states, there is more difference within groups than between them! Indeed, I wouldn't define others by labels that I know to be pejorative. I believe, my mindfulness is better employed to move me beyond fine-slicing (reaction) towards good judgment (appreciate enquiry) - thereby acknowledging the reasons for the badges one might employ but appreciating surprises and contradictions. In our meeting Jonathan struck me as a sensitive, enthusiastic, warm and knowledgeable researcher! Our conversation helped me think about the nature of reflection (private), passion (shared interest) and blogging (public) -  all aspects of knowledge development.
Thank you Jonathan!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment